Monday, June 24, 2013

The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver





I just finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It has joined the bandwagon of novels in a dystopian society. This was recommended to me and at first I thought, I don’t want to read another one of the same things.But the take on this is that love is a disease. I thought how can love be a disease? Well, Oliver does a decent job of showing how society can end up in this situation (not exactly, but you get my drift). I really enjoyed the story until the end. It seems that everyone is writing a trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I hate a good story to end, but then again, I hate to be left with, what happened? So, now I will have to read Pandemonium.



Never in a million years could I exist in the dystopia that Lauren Oliver has created in her novel Pandemonium. Lauren Oliver's 2nd in her Delirium series is Pandemonium. Okay, maybe I could exist, but I would never want to. The main character from Delirium, Lena, has similar traits to Katniss from The Hunger Games. This may be my attraction to the story line.
Lena learns to survive with nothing. I was a bit upset at the end of Delirium when I realized I was going to have to read Pandemonium. Maybe I need to stop reading trilogies. Sometimes I just want the story to end, but as you can tell, this one continues in the same way.

With that being said, Pandemonium was good, but I was frustrated as Oliver switches back and forth in each chapter between the journey to the city and life in the city. I may have appreciated the journey to the big city more if it had been written sequentially. Life in the city was much more exciting. Therefore, I raced through the chapters on the journey to enjoy the escapades of the city. I understand flashbacks and all, but somehow I got distracted between chapters.

Good vs. evil is what you believe the premise is, but Oliver throws a curve ball and that really surprised me! I like it when a book is not always predictable. There are also a few other unexpected events that make me want to read Requiem. I may take a break from the series, but you can bet that I will be reading the next one, Requiem, in a short while.


Okay, so I finished Requiem! Glad there is not another book in this series, but that does not mean I did not like it. I did! Like Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games, I do not think everyone will be happy with the ending. But then again, we are talking dystopia. Things get a little crazy and the war revs up. Of course twisted love stories are involved and maybe everyone will not be happy with who falls for who, but then again, it is not our story, it's Oliver's.

I love a strong female character. Lena does not start out that way, but she develops into a great character, full of strength she had no idea she had.

No comments:

Post a Comment